There are many forms of preventative dental care. There are dental practices employed by the dentist, hygienist at the dental clinic as well as the patient when at home. While the preventative dental measures used in clinic may vary depending on the level of care necessitated for any particular individual, there is set standard of preventative measures for all patients to use at home.
Here is an overview of the various preventative dental measures employed by patients and the dentists.
Preventative Dental Measures At Home:
- Daily preventative care for oral hygiene maintenance which includes proper brushing as well as flossing, twice every day.
- Regular use of fluoridated toothpaste, as recommended by the American Dental Association.
- Quarterly replacement of toothbrush to avoid damage to the oral mucosa with the use of frayed bristles
- Regulations of healthy dietary habits as sugar, carbohydrate-loaded foods have a tendency to feed the bacteria which produces dental plaque and ultimately leads to tooth decay.
- Abstinence from dentally detrimental habits such as smoking, chewing tobacco and consuming alcohol as these practices not only decrease the overall health of your teeth, they also cause tooth loss, gum disease, tooth discoloration and decay, and oral cancer.
- Regular visits and dental cleanings from the dentist.
Preventative Dental Measures at the Bright White Dental Centre:
The very first preventative dental measure is a thorough dental examination, assessment and evaluation of a patient’s oral cavity which include taking digital dental X-rays. If a patient requires primary dental care, then:
- The dentist will thoroughly clean, scale and polish the patient’s teeth to remove any traces of plaque, calculus or dental stains.
- Educate the patient on the proper brushing and flossing techniques as well as inform them about the use of the best oral care products. The patients will also be informed about the outcome of poor oral hygiene habits and their consequences.
- Assess the need for, and then apply fissure sealants to prevent the development of dental caries.
- Provide a custom-made mouth guard to patients who are athletically active or show a tendency to grind/clench their teeth.
If patients require secondary preventive care, they may be recommended detailed screening or diagnostic tests for early detection of the disease, along with the use of restorative, periodontal, endodontic or exodontic therapies to prevent further progression of the disease. Tertiary preventative care usually involves the use of amalgam or composite fillings, or the use of dentures, bridges or implants to restore full functionality of the patient’s teeth.
The dental team at Bright White Dental Centre is dedicated in providing the highest level of dental care to our patients. Only after a thorough evaluation will a dentist at Bright White Dental Centre devise a dental treatment plan which will help ensure that the patient’s mouth is in a good, healthy condition.